As soon as you find a burst pipe, turn off the water supplyat the main water shutoff valveimmediately, to avoid leaking more water and danger. If you find some leakingwater on the floor, turn off the electricity too.
The next important thing is to drain the water out of the plumber, or the remaining water will come out when you repair the pipe. Then discover the problem of the burst pipe and follow the steps below to repair it.
1) Cut the burst section ofthe pipe with a knife or a cutter. To make sure you can cut through the pipe, rotate the knife or the cutter around the pipe slowly. Afterward, use a wool to clean the cut pipe and if there is any water remaining in the pipe, put a bucket under the cut area.
2) Take the small screw off the valve.As there is an arrow which points in the direction of the water flow, you can find the right direction while installing the valve.
3) Measure the diameter of your pipe and buy a new section of pipe with the same diameter at a store. Be sure the new pipe is similar in diameter to your water line. To save money, the new pipe should just fit the section you cut.
4) Clean the end of the pipe and the innerpart of the valve with a wool.Then spread the soldering flux to make sure it is applied anywhere on the outside of the pipe end and inside the valve fitting.Finally, move the valve fitting to the end of the pipe.
5) Put on your safety goggles, andthen heat the connecting point of the fitting and the pipe with a propane torch.
6) To avoid leaking water, you should take another step at the joint where the valve connects to the pipe.Fetch2 inches of solderand then push it into the joint. The solder will be melted by the heat and then it will flow into the connection. Afterward, you can solder completely around the connection of the pipe and the valve.
7) Having grasped the skills of soldering, you can install the new assembly to the water line in the similar way. You are advised to use some cheap copper fittings to connect new sections of pipe to the existing water line.
8) Replace the petcock, and the last but not least step,turn on the water supply at the main water shutoff valve to ensure the water pipe does not leak.Keep in mind to turn off the valve and open all thetapsdownstream of the new valvebefore the temperature turns below zero degree Celsius. Then drain the pipeby taking away the petcock screw. To avoid cold, you are supposed to cover the parts of pipe upstream of the new valve in an unheated area with foam pipe insulation.